Friday, May 23, 2008
Not feeling creative enough to think of a title...
Much to report since my last post. I’m feeling much better thanks to prayers, some very strong medicines and a lot of rest. Thursday morning I got up early for class and walked to the bus stop, it’s about a 10 minute walk from my house. The bus system here is very…interesting. The buses are marked by hand written signs on the windshield and apart from these small signs that you can hardly see until the bus is very close, you can’t tell one bus route apart from the other. So Thursday morning I caught the bus I always catch (I have to catch the one that says Intermedio, Plaza Rubi, and UDLA). However, instead of driving almost directly to the campus the bus driver took a different route. After riding in the wrong direction for about 10 minutes (and 5 mins. Before the start of my first class), I asked the bus driver if he was going to UDLA and he said oh Sí, we’ll be there in about 30 minutes. Needless to day I was very late to class, but got a nice bus tour around town. It seems that bus routes can change very often and I now know to ask the driver before I get on where he plans on driving, haha. Thursday evening I met up with some friends I met that go to UNC-Chapel Hill and who all happen to be from Charlotte. We hung out at one of the girls’ homestay houses. She has a Mexican homestay brother who is around my age. He invited over some of his friends and we all hung out together. It was fun talking with the Mexicans and learning some Mexican slang. I had to come home early due to sporadic stomach issues, but I needed to retire early anyways. This morning I woke up very early to go to school with Gaby. The school she teaches at is in Puebla and it’s called Green Valley School (same as the school in Boone, interesting). The school is private and bi-lingual. The students who range in age from 2 years – 6th grade spend part of their day learning in Spanish and the other part in English. These schools are very popular here and I’m not sure why we don’t have them in the US, maybe I’ll start one someday. The kids are very nice and of course had a million questions for me. All of the boys wanted to know if I knew Michael Jordan after I told them that I was from North Carolina, haha. The school is quite small and the children have way more freedom (i.e. there are not rules for everything) than students in the US. School ended a few hours early today for the kids so that the teachers could have a workshop on classroom management. I went along for the workshop where the lady was basically talking about how to have control in the classroom and things like that, nothing new or overly exciting to me but it was good to hear it in Spanish. Alfredo picked us up after the workshop and I have spent the rest of my afternoon relaxing and enjoying having nothing to do. Tonight I am going to go see a movie with Gaby and Alfredo and tomorrow I will be spending the day in a town called Tepotzlán with a group from the Uni. Hope everyone has had a good week and hope you will all have a restful weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment