Here is a quick summary of what I’ve been up to the past several days. Last Thursday June 26 was my last day in the Spanish immersion program. I passed my classes, hooray! The university had a “graduation ceremony” for us, which I thought was a little silly but I guess it was good practice for the REAL graduation I will be having in December (Hallelujah!!) Afterwards they had a “brindis” or a toast for us outside in the gardens. It was nice and a good opportunity to say goodbye to all the friends that I made. A few of us went out for a late lunch together at a restaurant called Ice and Grill. At this restaurant you pick out your food from a buffet type line, its all raw vegetables and raw meats. You put as much as you want into one big bowl, then you pick the sauce you want your food cooked in and then they cook it for you. They have a soup and salad bar and you eat that while you’re waiting on your main course to be cooked. The food was delicious and only cost 85 pesos (about $8). We also got to watch Spain whoop up on Russia in the Euro Cup while we ate. I said my final goodbyes to everyone and walked home.
Friday was a great day. I did absolutely nothing. My host fam was at work all day, so I just hung out around the house. I read a good chunk of my García Márquez book and just took it easy.
Saturday I cooked shrimp n’ grits for my host family. They don’t have the exact equivalent of grits but the flavor was very similar, regardless they both loved it, and the next day I caught Gaby eating all the leftovers, haha. Maybe Mar (the name of their soon to be daughter) will develop a taste for Southern food.
Sunday was the final game in the Euro Cup Championship. Alfredo, Gaby, Miguel (Gaby’s cousin), and I went to Parque de Espana, which is sort of like a massive indoor/outdoor YMCA to exercise and later watch the game between Spain and Germany. Spain won, which made Alfredo very happy. It was fun watching the game with a ton of people and seeing how excited everyone gets about fútbol. Afterwards we went to a taco joint to celebrate. I ate Tacos de Moronja which was suggested to me by Miguel and Alfredo(cow intestines filled with blood), I didn’t know what it was until after I ate it but it was pretty good; tacos de pig skin, which I wasn’t too crazy about; and tacos de normal beef. Eating here is never boring that’s for sure.
Monday, I started my new classes for the teaching program. My classes are ok, one is more interesting than the other but I am definitely itching to be done with the student end of school. I am in classes for 5 hours a day and then afterwards we have different workshops, or local school visits. I’m staying very busy with this program and the time is flying by. Tonight I am going to see a Brazilian music program on campus which should be great, especially since I love Brazilian music. Everyone should check out Tribalistas, an awesome British group.
That’s all I have to report for now. This weekend is my last in Cholula and I’m going to spend it hanging out with my family. Hope everyone has a great 4th of July (I’m going to celebrate it by going to class), drink a cerveza and eat a hot dog for me!
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wonderful blog-great info!! I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures in Mexico! Will need about a week to hear about all you did & saw while away! Can you stay home that long? I ate a hot dog & a hamburger for you plus a big glass of sweet ice tea! Yum!Yum! Missing you & can't wait to see you! Take care & be safe!! Love ya bunches!!!!!!
Hugs & Kisses,
Mom :)z
Hey Cousin, So I did have a conorna for you last night, but I didn't have a hot dog. I had a hamburger instead. It was so good. We also lit off a hole of fireworks too. It was a great 4th. Why do u have to come home, I love reading about your adventures. It makes want to & visit mrxico. I'll have to call u one day when u r hm so u can tell me more about. Love ya cous.
Post a Comment