Monday, June 9, 2008

Una semana de mi vida en Mexico

Interesting things that have been going on in the past week:
Last Tuesday I visited a Talavera factory to see how it is made. Talavera is just a type of pottery that is made here in Puebla pretty much exactly like how you would imagine pottery being made. Everything is painted in really bright colors and has very intricate patterns. I will definitely be buying some so you all can see it. Wednesday, I had a lot of work today so I spent the afternoon writing a paper and studying for a test. I´m sure I have said it before, but I don’t think the directors of the program understand what a study abroad is…you’re not supposed to do that much studying, haha. After I had all of my work finished on Thursday I went off campus with some friends to eat lunch and do some shopping in Cholula. I didn’t buy anything but it was fun looking around. Thursday night the university hosted a Mexican Fiesta. Everyone came including the professors and it was a lot of fun. They had all of the typical Mexican foods like tacos, tamales, elote (a special type of corn), churros, and of course it wouldn’t be a Mexican fiesta without cervezas. They also had a live band that played a lot of covers of popular latin music. Everyone was dancing and having a good time. That night I took a taxi home and the driver turned out to be very sketchy. I was thankful that I knew how to get to my house and how to speak Spanish so that this guy couldn’t rip me off or anything else. A very important thing to know in Mexico is how to get where you are going and to be able to speak and understand the español because a lot of the taxi drivers try to rip you off. Friday I went with Gaby to school – the kids didn’t have class in the morning they were just supposed to come in the afternoon to put on a program for their parents. The program was going to be outside because the schools here don’t have indoor auditoriums, they are all outside. Unfortunately, it was raining cats and dogs and they had to call the program off. Gaby’s parents live close to the school so her dad came and picked us up and we ate and hung out there for the rest of the evening. That night Gaby, Alfredo, and I went to see a movie that was in Spanish. It was pretty good but it was late and as you that know me well can probably guess…I fell asleep. It was fun none the less and very cheap so I will be going to the movies more often.
I spent the weekend on a trip with the University. Saturday we drove about 4 hours to a town called Taxco (pr. Tasco) that is famous for their silver mines. There are thousands of shops and markets to buy silver in Taxco for extremely cheap. Needless to say I bought quite a lot. I made some good friends on the trip and we had fun eating dinner together and hanging out. The next morning after we checked out of our hotel (which was surprisingly nice), we drove 2 hours to Xochicalco (pr. Sochicalco). Here there are ruins (pyramids) from an ancient civilization. We hiked all around the area with a guide who told us about all the history of the peoples from this area. It was very interesting and I will post pictures on the website soon. Next we drove to Cuernavaca, a larger city to eat lunch. My friends and I chose to eat at Burger King which was a very nice change to my regular diet here in Mexico. We had some free time after we ate to look at the palace of Hernán Cortés and walk through the market. I bought an awesome brightly colored 2 person hammock (for extremely cheap) which I can’t wait to hang up on my balcony at home! After Cuernavaca we headed back to Puebla. It was a fun weekend and I was happy with all of my purchases.
I am very thankful for this experience and I am learning a lot about Mexico, Spanish, and the world in general. I wish you could all be here to share this with me. Miss everyone and I’m looking forward to being in my country soon!

No comments: